Home wind turbines are electric generators that convert wind energy into clean, emission free power. Although most large wind farms exist to power certain towns and communities, there are also smaller wind turbines for homes and home owners. These smaller turbines can be installed on any part of your property to cover some or even all of your monthly energy needs.
A typical house usually requires a home wind turbine with a 5 kW generating capacity to meet all its energy requirements. A turbine that offers this much power would have to be around 13 to 18 feet in diameter, and positioned in an area where strong winds often pass through. There are also plenty of smaller, cheaper turbines, but these variants produce less power, and are less reliable than their more expensive counterparts.
What Are The Benefits of Home Wind Turbines?
The benefits of a home wind turbine depends entirely on its wind speed and turbine efficiency. So the more energy a particular wind turbine produces, the better.
A standard home wind turbine can cost around $30,000, though more expensive variants can cost as much as $70,000 (plus installation costs and other miscellaneous expenses). If you’re short on cash, there are turbines that cost less than $10,000, but they don’t produce a lot of power.
A turbine that produces around 5 kW worth of energy can produce approximately 8,000 kWh per year, assuming there are decent winds to power it. Given ideal conditions, you will be able to recoup your investment in three to five years, depending on your monthly energy consumption and other related factors. If, however, your property doesn’t get enough wind then it may take a little more time to recover your initial investment.
Aside from reducing your energy bills, home wind turbines also offer other benefits, including:
– Reduced pollution
– Immunity from rising energy costs
– Immunity from blackouts and other related problems
– Non-reliance on the energy grid
– Improved energy efficiency
– Eligibility for government incentives that promote energy efficiency or environmental conservation
What People Need to Know Before Installing Home Wind Turbines
Before you install a set of wind turbines on your property, be sure to complete the following checklist first.
– Find out what the local zoning laws have to say with regards to wind turbines. Some communities may not allow their installation, while others may offer certain incentives.
– Find out how much energy your property consumes every month, and compare it with the projected amount of power your turbines can offer. If the turbines cannot offer enough energy then you may have to find a secondary source of power to supplement the turbines.
– Determine the amount of wind that passes through your property, and make sure that it is sufficient to power your wind turbines all year round.
– When buying a wind turbine for home use, make sure that they are certified by the Small Wind Certification Council, which oversees the quality of all wind turbines currently available in the market.
Once you have covered all these issues, you can purchase your wind turbines and install them on your property.
The 10 Best Home Wind Turbines
GOWE 3KW grid tie wind turbine generator
- Grid tie 3KW wind power system. Including: 1pcs 3KW wind turbine; 1pcs 3KW grid tie controller; 1pcs 3KW grid tie inverter; After your order please tell us your voltage ,110V/220V ,50HZ/60HZ.