You’ve probably heard people say things like, “You don’t need any equipment to have a great workout,” and “You can do these bodyweight exercises anywhere,” a hundred times. And honestly that’s great news because getting to the gym every day isn’t always a reality. But it’s not just a question of convenience (although, yes, they are convenient).
While you might think of strength training as requiring heavy weights and maybe some grunting (for good measure), the truth is that your body is itself a fantastic piece of workout equipment. Just by using the weight of your body and the power of gravity, you can build muscle, burn fat, and get an honest-to-goodness great workout. You just have to know the most effective way to put your body to work—for your body.
Keep these 53 handy moves in your at-home arsenal to work up a sweat anytime, anywhere. There are some effective bodyweight exercises for biceps and your entire upper body, as well as moves for your lower body and your core. And they aren’t just bodyweight exercises to build muscle—there are plenty of cardio-focused moves, too, which will get your heart rate up so you’re burning calories while working your muscles.
Create your own bodyweight workouts with these exercises—know them, love them, crush them.
- Stand with your feet about shoulder-width apart and slightly turned out with your weight in your heels.
- Hinge your hips to sit your butt back and bend your knees until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Drive through your heels to stand back up straight. Squeeze your butt and keep your core tight as you stand.
- Start standing with your feet about shoulder-width apart.
- Step backwards with your left foot, landing on the ball of your foot and bending your knees to create two 90-degree angles.
- Push through your right heel to return to standing.
- Repeat on the other side.